|After completing a firmware update,
new firmware version and application
version (v.1.89F) can be confirmed
via [information] under [Setup]
menu. If the version number may
be displayed as 1.89C, 1.89D or
1.89E, 1.89F will only be displayed
properly after the A2 has been
After upgrading the firmware version
over 1.87F, you can not downgrade
to version below 1.85E because
of changing the internal structure.
However, it is possible to downgrade
from V.1.89F or later to V.1.87F:
1.89F -> 1.87F.
* Support Musepack Audio files
-Support Musepack files (MPC format) as known
as MPEGPLUS (MP+)
-Musepack is an audio compression format with
a strong emphasis on high quality.
-You can easily convert Musepack files in
-To learn more visit: http://www.musepack.net
Caution) You can lose the sound quality if
you convert one audio compression format to
* Support Musepack audio Meta information
-Support APE tag version 2.0
-Ability to extract Album, Artiest and Title
* Fixed the error of timer recording after
installed the firmware V.1.87
A2 Firmware V1.89
A2 Font Maker V1.01
* Please read the notes before installing
- The battery must be fully charged before
- Do not turn the power off during upgrading.
- Back up the files just in case.
- You must upgrade the supplied firmware from
* Added more items to set user GUI
The below items are added in a USER_STYLE.TXT
Please refer to the attached SER_STYLE.TXT
* Upgrade FLAC decoder
Applied the latest version of FLAC decoder
Improved on decoding FLAC
* Fixed the error that displays lyrics
of a playing FLAC or WMA file after playing
a MP3 file with lyrics marked
* Fixed the error to display wrong coordinates
on AV-IN preview screen
* Fixed the error that can not display
the bottom of the album image when fast
forwarding or rewinding a music file
* Support LDB Version 2.0 (XLDB)
Support to display lyrics in Karaoke style
with LDB Version 2.0 (XLDB)
If LDB Manager marked it as XLDB, then the
audio file is able to display lyrics in Karaoke
style. If a MP3 file has already been marked
as LDB Version 1.0, then just text type of
lyric is displayed.
* Added the function to select a language
When you turn your A2 on for the first time,
or press A button in Setup, you can select
a language. The feature is only applied on
the player with version 1.82 E of the firmware
* Ability to set the user GUI
Change the color of fonts and background while
booting if there is a USER_STYLE.TXT file
in the .system folder. The USER_STYLE.TXT
file must be according to the form prescribed.
Here’s the Sample form.
# 1. If the first character of a line
is '#' or blank, then that line is comment.
# 2. The color representation is RGBA,
# 3. It must be one color per one line.
* Ability to change the Menu style by
pressing B button on the Initial screen
* Support the maximum sound limit in some
European countries when selecting German,
French, Spanish, Netherlands and Russian
* Changed the range of frequency in Japan
from 76 ~ 90 MHz to 76 ~ 108 MHz
* Added more languages in System Language
(Setup > Display > Appearance >
Central Europian (ISO8859-2)
* Improved on MPEG4 Decoder
Improved on having noise at the bottom
of screen in some movie files
* Improved on overlapping subtitles when
seeing a pop-up window
* Improved on displaying a split band at the
top of the video when recording video
* Improved on the situation that can not play
some MPEG files due to the data mining error
* Improved on having screen noise in some
movie files with Xvid codec
* Improved on stopping abnormally when loading
the video file with ADPCM audio codec
* Support Hebrew: COWON A2 now supports 11
national languages - Korean, English, Japanese,
Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, French,
German, Russian, Spanish, Dutch and Hebrew.
"Special Thanks to the members
of iAudiophile.net regarding translation."
Hebrew - Arye Levin
* Support fonts and alphabetical order for
Hebrew and Arabic
Support Text Viewer, File Browser and File
Information/Lyrics when playing music, Subtitles
and so on for Right-To-Left Languages (Hebrew
Please set Hebrew (ISO8859-8) or Arabic (ISO8859-6)
under [Setup] - [Display] - [Appearance] -
Thanks to the members of iAudiophile.net regarding
Hebrew fonts and alphabetical order."
* Upgrade FontMaker V.1.01 for supporting
* Upgrade mTrans V.1.01
Support 8bit, 16bit bitmap when converting
* Control CSD Viewer via the remote control
* Added Record Pause feature
- Ability to pause/continue recording to click
on [OK] button when recording
- Applied all record mode (DMB, Line-IN record,
* Fixed the error that does not play correctly
a movie file with Xvid
* Improved on handling the damaged part of
files when playing a AVI file with AC3 audio
* Added ‘CSD viewer’
- Convert document or image files into CSD
format with COWON mTrans
- Support all types of electronic document
like MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe PDF,
and all kinds of Korean word processor.
- Support JPEG, BMP, and TIFF file format
- Move to other page
- Automatic move on next page (1~60 seconds)
- Move the document by 10~60%
- Rotation (0, 90, and 270 degree)
- View CSD document (Fit to screen, Fit to
width, Fit to height, Actual size)
- Zoom in the document by 5~50%
mTrans can be available to convert if the
original document or viewer (MS Office, Adobe
Acrobat Reader) are installed on your computer.
The option settings of mTrans can have an
effect on display speed, scroll speed, and
playing files simultaneously. Please set up
the option for personal usage. It supports
MS Windows 2000, XP, and 2003.
CAUTION) Please uninstall mTrans on your computer,
and reinstall the latest version of mTrans.
* Added CSD View Cartoon mode
- Applied to click on View Cartoon from the
popup menu of the file when playing a CSD
- Ability to open the popup menu of the file:
[Search] - [Focus on File] - [A button] or
[right button of lever]
- It can not zoom in View Cartoon mode.
- It can move to other page faster in View
* Added Automatic move feature on TEXT viewer
* Released CSD converter (mTrans) V1.0
- Added the feature to convert Image Book
(It can convert JPEG files into a CSD document.)
- Convert after cutting 2 images on both sides
in 2 pages automatically (According to proportion
of image's width/height)
- Ability to select Right/Left (Basic option
* Support .srt, .sub(Text type) subtitle files
- Support only TEXT type of SUB file
- It does not support SUB file and IDX file
of binary format.
- Subtitle Priority: smi > smil > srt
* Fixed the error that displays not support
codec in all files in a certain situation
* Fixed the error on selecting the number
of multi-subtitle SMI file
[Firmware V1.73 ]
*Added "Play Speed" features for
Movie and Music for all file formats.
- Applied "Pitch Correction" feature
- [Pitch Correction] on/off can be controlled
from [Setup] - [Music] - [Pitch Correction]
(Default is Off)
- Adjustable between 0.7x to 1.5x
- Controlled separately for Movie and Music.
- Movie Playback [B button] - [Play Speed]
or [Setup] - [Movie] - [General] - [Play Speed]
- Music Playback [B button] - [Play Speed]
or [Setup] - [Music] - [General] - [Play Speed]
Caution! Depending on what audio and
video codecs your files use, the audio track
may not play in time to the video.
Caution! The Pitch Correction feature may
introduce distortion to the music.
* Added album art (JPEG) display while listening
to music files:
- Display as 160X100 size
- a. If ID3 Meta data of MP3 file contains
- b. If folder contains JPEG file with same
name as music file.
- c. If folder contains JPEG files (If it’s
more than 1 images, displayed as random order.)
- Order Priority: a > b > c
- If any of these cases is matched with the
above conditions, the A2 will display the
- Case “a” is only supported with MP3 files.
- Case “b”, “c” is supported for most audio
- Other image formats (bitmap, png, progressive
JPEG and etc) are not supported.
- JetAudio’s tag editing menu will allow the
insertion of JPEG images to MP3 files. (Tag
Edit -> Picture)
- [Album image] on/off can be controlled from
the display menu. [setup]-[music]-[display]
If the image size is very large, loading time
can be delayed.
* Added Timer Record feature
- Up to 10 sessions can be added.
- Timer Recording sessions can be added via
- Only ‘Play” feature is available with previous
- Sessions will be started by start time and
not list order.
- If device is turned off, it will be automatically
turned on by alarm or timer record features.
- When the alarm or timer record starts while
the device operating, the user will be asked
to select an action. If the user does not
take action within 10 seconds, the A2 will
automatically operate the alarm or timer recording.
* Improved AC3 multi-channel audio decoder
- Improved AC3 surround system for movie files
with AC3 multi channel audio codec.
* Support Spanish and Dutch: COWON A2 now
supports 10 national languages - Korean, English,
Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified
Chinese, French, German, Russian, Spanish
to the members of iAudiophile.net regarding
Dutch - Jan Bemelmans / German - Martin Plappert
/ French - Timothee & JiPe / Russian -
* Fixed the error that occasionally freezes
A2 if you try to rewind or fast forward when
* Fixed the error where some jpegs were not
displayed correctly due to the fact that the
files were not transferred correctly via the
* Fixed some errors with meta data on ID3
* Improved features when playing OGG files.
: able to apply JetEffect such as BBE.
able to display spectrum during playback,
but it might be instable in some OGG files.
* Able to view image files when playing OGG
* Added the function of PAN & SCAN (70%
: it is a function of zoom in/out without
distortion by keeping aspect ratio.
able to apply it when playing a movie file.
( B button -> PAN & SCAN)
able to apply it with Screen Aspect Ratio
in Setup menu option.
only available in LCD mode.
* Supports multi subtitle in smi(smil) files.
: it is a function that displays two subtitles
in different language at the same time.
(B button -> Subtitle Tracks -> choose
smi 1 or 2)
* Fixed the error when playing a movie file
* Improved AC3 surround system.
* Improved loading speed when playing audio
files by buffering algorithm.
* Added Spanish language.
* Fixed the error when viewing image files
while listening to the music or radio.
* Fixed the error of JetEffect when playing
* Fixed the error when changing mode (Aspect
Ratio, size or LCD/AV OUT) in pause mode of
the movie file.
* Fixed the error that it displays wrong time
on Recent Played List after pressing back
button long while playing and turning it off.
* Fixed the error of LCD Off (SetUp ->
System) during timed recording.
* Fixed the error that there's no sound in
* Fixed the error that displays wrong ID3
tag information in certain audio files.
* Fixed the error when displaying smi subtitle
* Fixed the error that doesn't save more than
100 screenshots from movie files.
* Fixed the error that stops abnormally in
* Fixed the error that doesn't display JPEG
file in TV-out mode.
[ Firmware V1.61]
* Able to view image files while listening
to the music. It only works with MP3 files,
and OGG files will be supported in the near
The maximum viewable image size:
1. Viewing image files when playing MP3 files:
JPG: unlimited pixels (file size is limited
up to 5.4MB)
P-JPG: 1.4 Mega Pixels (Progressive type)
PNG: 1.8 Mega Pixels / 1.4 Mega Pixels (with
BMP: 1.8 Mega Pixels (24bit) / 1.6 Mega Pixels
2. Viewing image files only:
JPG: Unlimited pixels (file size is limited
up to 6.5MB)
P-JPG: 1.6 Mega Pixels (Progressive type)
PNG: 2.1 Mega Pixels / 1.6 Mega Pixels (with
BMP: 2.1 Mega Pixels (24bit) / 1.6 Mega Pixels
* Fixed the error of the repeat function of
the FLAC file.
* Fixed the error of encoding Unicode (UTF-8)
in Text Viewer.
** The firmware V1.61 includes 4 files.
** You are not able to downgrade the firmware
1.54 Beta, 1.57 and 1.59.
* Notice of GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
This product has some free software which
are copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation
and the library includes the software is subject
to the observance of the terms of the GNU
General Public License as published by the
Free Software Foundation.